Michaleas Mansion construction
The Neoclassical home of the architect Ioannis Michaleas and his family was constructed at the junction of Theorias, Panos and Aretousas streets.
Paul Canellopoulos is born
In September, Paul was born in Athens, the son of the industrialist Angelos Canellopoulos and Eleni Oikonomou.
Alexandra Canellopoulos is born
Alexandra was born in Athens, the daughter of the politician Dimitrios Londos and Melpomene Scampavia.
The first two artefacts of the Collection
Paul Canellopoulos, while studying in Munich, acquired the first two artefacts of his Collection, a Byzantine icon of Virgin Mary, and another of Saint Nicholas, from the early 16th century
First years of collective activity
After graduating from Munich University, Paul travelled to numerous European countries in order to study history, philosophy and the arts. He enthusiastically continues his collecting, rescuing a variety of Greek artefacts, with the aim of returning them to Greece.
Acquisition of Collector’s License
Paul obtained a collector’s license for Greek and Byzantine antiquities.
Paul and Alexandra get married
Paul Canellopoulos and Alexandra Londos are married. Their common life shaped a shared vision.
Michaleas Mansion Expropriation
For reasons of public benefit the two properties, owned by the heirs of Ioannis Michaleas, are expropriated. The transfer of the property to the Athens Mortgage Office was completed in 1978.
Exhibition: “Byzantine Art – A European Art”
The Collection participates in the exhibition “Byzantine Art – A European Art”, at the Zappeion Megaron, Athens, organised under the auspices of the Council of Europe.
Transformation of the Michaleas Mansion into a Museum
The repairs and restoration works began in March, in order to transform the Michaleas Mansion into a museum that would host the Canellopoulos Collection.
École Française d'Athènes – Studies on the Canellopoulos Collection
The French School of Athens - École Française d'Athènes publishes 20 specialised studies on selections of objects from the Canellopoulos Collection in the Bulletin de Correspondance Hellénique.
First documentation of the Collection
The first official documentation of the Collection takes place, by the Archaeological Service, under care of A. Andreiomenos, Head of the Ephorate of Antiquities and Private Archaeological Collections. The Collection at that point consisted of 4,595 objects.
Donation of the Collection to the Greek state.
Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos donated their rich Collection to the Greek state. Officially, the Greek state received the Collection with the act of acceptance of the donation, a decision of the then Deputy Minister of Finance A. Dimopoulos.
Preparing the Museum for its permanent exhibition
The first permanent exhibition of the Canellopoulos Collection is prepared under the supervision of G. Dontas. The work was undertaken almost exclusively by the archaeologist of the Ephorate, M. Bruskari.
Conservation of artefacts from the Collection
The newly established Centre for the Preservation of Antiquities began the conservation of the objects of the Collection. P. Lazaridis, the head of the Centre, mentions the preservation of 23 Byzantine icons of the Collection.
Inauguration of the Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos Museum
In July, the Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos Museum opened its gates to the public, a role model for the museological standards of the time.
Exhibition: "Greece and Sea"
The Museum participates in the exhibition “Greece and Sea”, on the occasion of the European Capital of Culture in Amsterdam.
Exhibition: “From Byzantium to El Greco: Greek Frescoes and Icons”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “From Byzantium to El Greco: Greek Frescoes and Icons”, Royal Academy, London.
Exhibition: “Holy Image, Holy Space: Icons and Frescoes from Greece”
The Museum participates in the travelling exhibition “Holy Image, Holy Space: Icons and Frescoes from Greece”, USA.
Exhibition: “Eros Grec: Amour des Dieux et des Hommes”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “Eros Grec: Amour des Dieux et des Hommes”, Grand Palais, Paris.
Exhibition: “Gates of Mystery: Treasures of Orthodoxy from Holy Russia and Greece”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “Gates of Mystery: Treasures of Orthodoxy from Holy Russia and Greece”, National Gallery, Athens.
Second documentation of the Collection
Paul’s and Alexandra’s collecting activity continued unabated all these years, resulting in the enrichment of the Museum's Collection. According to the documentation conducted by the 1st Athens Ephorate of Antiquities, the Collection consists at this point of 6,175 antiquities and works of art.
After twenty years of operation, the building showed signs of deterioration, mainly due to the groundwater that flowed through the rock of the northern slope of the Acropolis. The Museum remained closed February 1995 to October 1996 while extensive renovation and restoration work was carried out on the building's static and humidity problems.
Exhibition: “The Glory of Byzantium”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “The Glory of Byzantium: Art and Culture of the Middle Byzantine Era, A.D. 843–1261”, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City.
Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos Foundation
Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos proceeded to the establishment of a foundation that bears their names, so as to support the Museum and enhance Hellenism.
New Wing of the Museum
Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos agree to donate to the Greek state a new wing attached to the Michaleas Mansion, as well as the remaining artefacts from the Canellopoulos Collection, which were still hosted at their home.
Exhibition: “The Ecumenical Byzantium”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “The Ecumenical Byzantium”, Byzantine & Christian Museum, Athens.
Publication of the permanent collection catalogue
The official catalogue of the permanent exhibition, edited by Maria S. Brouscari, entitled “The Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos Museum” was published (Ministry of Culture – Fund of Archaeological Proceeds).
Paul Canellopoulos dies
Paul Canellopoulos dies on 3 April 2003, at the age of 97.
Construction of the new Wing
The operation of the Museum is suspended in order to build its extension. With the initiative and funding of Alexandra Canellopoulos, the adjacent plot of land was purchased, where, according to the plans of the architect Paul Kalligas, the new wing was built.
Exhibition: “Byzantium: Faith and Power (1261-1557)”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “Byzantium: Faith and Power (1261-1557)”, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City.
Two catalogues, “Ancient Art” and “Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Art”, were published by the Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos Foundation.
Completion of the New Wing
The construction of the new wing is completed. Beyond new exhibition areas to better showcase the Collection, the Museum obtained additional spaces, such as rooms for educational programmes, a library, offices, conservation workshops and more.
Legal Entity of Public Law
Under the law 3600/2007 the Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos Museum, Athens, was established as a Legal Entity of Public Law, supervised by the Minister of Culture.
Alexandra Canellopoulos dies
Alexandra Canellopoulos dies 23 July 2008, at the age of 87.
Exhibition: "Eros: From Hesiod’s Theogony to Late Antiquity"
The Museum participates in the exhibition "Eros: From Hesiod’s Theogony to Late Antiquity", Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens.
Exhibition: “The Origins of El Greco”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “The Origins of El Greco: Icon Painting in Venetian Crete”, Onassis Cultural Centre, New York City.
The re-exhibition works of the Collection were completed, resulting in the reopening of the CaMu in its current form.
Exhibition: “The tale of Cupid and Psyche”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “The tale of Cupid and Psyche: the legend in art from antiquity to Canova”, Castel Sant’Angelo, Rome, Italy.
The Museum participates in the exhibition “Beyond”, Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens.
Exhibition: “Kallos. The Ultimate Beauty”
The Museum participates in the exhibition “Kallos. The Ultimate Beauty”, Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens.
The Canellopoulos Museum begins a new chapter of its history. CAMU designs a new strategy and introduces its renewed visual identity. Remaining partially open, renovations begin to bring the Museum up to contemporary standards.